Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Read Professional Scripts

You can find endless quality scripts online. I strongly advise you to read scripts for movies that you have already seen that way you can think well about how the film translates into visual storytelling.

I also caution you about some of the scripts you will find floating around on the internet. Many of them are simply transcriptions by hacks that are living in their parent's basement without anything better to do. Like write their own screenplays. In other words, I have nothing against living in your parent's basement. Just living in your parents basement transcribing fake screenplays from movies you dig. I have a problem with that. Am I off track here? Just wanted to warn you about those fake scripts. Once you've read a few real ones and compared them to standard Hollywood formatting, you'll be able to spot these fakes a million miles away.

Some sites I recommend include

Simply Scripts

and

The Screenplay Database

Both of these sites have excellent, legit scripts. Check them out.