Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Art Wars - Artist Statement


You’ll notice immediately that this film is a little different than others.

A film without a video camera. A story without dialogue. An original score without instruments.

What do we have here? An amazing conglomeration that incorporates the brilliant creativity of everyone involved.  In no more than two and half weeks’ time, this band of artists pulled together to flesh out the skeleton storyboard I presented them with. I knew the flow. There was a real vision driving this film. But I must admit: 90% of this film was made up on the spot.

So why stop-motion animation? It’s liberating from the normal constraints of life. I don’t know about you, but when I walk around campus, I don’t leave pretty little footprints.
It’s also my mode of communication. I’m a photographer at heart, but I love motion. Stop animation is just the natural way to combine those two creative inclinations.
And by the way, this film took no less than 2898 photos total.

Why no dialogue? Two reasons. Sometimes words just get in the way of communication. Imagination is free and unbridled in this film. Also, it was just easier ;)

Why no instruments? The music is purer, more interesting. I wanted to push Lauren to a new creative endeavor, and I’m ecstatic about the result.
Everyone was truly pushed out of their comfort zone here. It was stressful, it was time consuming, it was simple and it was intricate. And still, there was something about being in that creative environment that was just therapeutic.

I was blessed with an amazing crew who came together as spontaneously as this film.  Jacob Redmon, the marvelous artist. Lauren Seveney, the unparalleled musician. Paige Engleman and Anna Gensimore, the imaginaters who brought their own unique dynamics to their characters (you’d never be able to tell they are both black belts.)

I hope that you will consider this film after you’re done watching it. It’s more than just a presentation of creativity. There is a real story of imagination, violation, and how we war. I also hope you appreciate the time and effort that we took to bring you this.