Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Skewed Views - Artist Statement


My goal for this project was to give others the opportunity to see how someone’s lifestyle influences the way that they see the physical world. Paul Miller loves to skateboard and it is a major part of his life, and in turn it shaped his way of seeing everything. I feel that everybody has a different perspective and it is a subconscious and uncontrollable reaction to the things in life that drive an individual. I wanted to make it clear to my audience that this piece wasn’t just about skateboarding, but that everyone can relate to Paul’s story. Everybody shares a common trait as far as having an attribute, skill or desire that helps define who we are, but it is that one thing that also makes us unique. I can’t feel what Paul feels for skateboarding nor can I automatically flip on a switch and see the world as a skate park, like he does. I hope that the audience can get a glimpse of this through his story and can appreciate Paul’s love for what he does and relate to his passion that helps shape his perspective.