Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Ledge - Artist Statement


Last summer I was listening to my Dad (a film maker) churn out his potential pitches. One of those captured my attention so much so that I took it upon myself to “borrow” the idea and explore it with my own creative flair. From the very beginning stages of the process (Andrew Rudd’s playwright class) to post production this project has evolved into a beautifully unique piece.
The Ledge, is not a film about suicide; it is simply a story of a man wrestling with what it means to live. Facing his death, Dan, discovers life through an unexpected encounter with Lily, a sharp and quirky teenager. It is a realist drama with a hint of dark comedy and a splash of wit.
While writing this piece I refrained from writing for the sake of purposely addressing an issue or sending a message. My desire was essentially that the audience would find themselves on a journey with Dan and Lily, knowing things are not always what they seem. And happy endings aren’t always tidy.
During the shooting of this film my cast and crew were subject to nine hours in below freezing conditions to get the job done. Their passion and commitment to this project has flawed me. It has truly been an honor to work with such an amazingly talented group of artists. That’s what we did. We came together to share in our love of creating and as a result produced something to be proud of.