Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Persuaded - Artist Statement


While shopping with my mom and my sisters one day in January, I received a text asking me to enter into the production of Persuaded as director. Not having a real clue about directing film, of course I agreed, and since then I have learned a lot about relationships and people and, of course, filmmaking.

Persuaded is a romantic comedy based on Jane Austen's novel Persuasion. Before you moan “Not another Austen nut” let me reassure you there is nothing bland about this modern day version. It is a whirlwind of activity as Anna is dragged off to play at her ex-boyfriend's wedding rehearsal, gets hit on by another man and is rescued by said ex-boyfriend – all in the same day.

As expected, there are many laughs onscreen, and there were many more off. Many of these laughs were from mixed up lines, some, I will admit, from my amateur directing, but through it all, we've learned to come together as a group to create something bigger than any one of us could have done on our own.
I invite you, the audience, to enter into a world that is far from perfect, but where people learn from one another and how to relate to the people around them in new and different ways. And perhaps you'll find that you, too, are being persuaded.